2019 Duckie DeMere Scholarship Recipients
Dyana Steinmetz, Trinity Catholic H.S. Breche´ DaValt, Hazelwood Central H.S. Liyah Starwood, McCluer H.S.
Not pictured: Diamond Bradford, McCluer H.S.
Duckie DeMere Scholarships 2015
Duckie DeMere Scholarships
for North St. Louis County High School Seniors
active in the performing arts
Scholarships will be awarded to students involved in music, theatre or dance.
Application deadline: April 15, 2020
Applications now being accepted. No late applications will be considered!
Hawthorne Players is one of the oldest community theatre companies in the St. Louis area. It produces three plays each year at the Florissant Civic Center Theatre.
These Duckie DeMere Scholarships, named after the late veteran Hawthorne actress and director, have been presented since 1992. One hundred students have received grants totaling over $60,000.
The purpose of these grants is to: 1) further community arts in general, 2) encourage high school students to become involved in community theatre and 3) increase youth involvement in Hawthorne Players. Applicants should have demonstrated talent, interest and effort in the performing arts, especially in the community. Participation in Hawthorne Players and other community theatre productions will be considered.
The minimum individual scholarship amount awarded will be $250. Depending on the number and quality of applicants, multiple scholarships may be awarded, and individual awards may be made in excess of $250.
Interested North St. Louis County students should email a single PDF document by April 15, 2020 to email@example.com that contains the following:
1) Your name, address and email address, phone, and high school
2) Information about your involvement in the performing arts both at school and in the community. (List productions, roles, crews, etc.)
3) A 250-word essay on the importance of the performing arts in the life of a community.
4) Your college/post high school plans
5) Also ask one high school theatre, music or other performing arts teacher to send a recommendation as a PDF document by April 15, 2020 to:
E-MAIL applications and recommendations as PDFs to:
For more information visit